Thursday, June 18, 2009

Yoga partner/Partner yoga

I’ve created a monster. No, not really. I managed to convince my husband to finally try Ashtanga Yoga early this week. Hibernating from running due to the non-stop rains he was desperate to do anything to break out a good sweat. So I brought him to Yoga Manila. Luckily Arthur, just about the only male practitioner in Ortigas these days, showed up and dispelled all of hubby’s concerns about being the only dude in class.

Jon
started him out with a brief discussion of breathing and bandhas then proceeded with the Sun Salutes. I could hear his breathing was getting quicker during Surya B, and I began to feel guilty for perhaps pushing him too hard. For months I have been egging him on to try Ashtanga Yoga, trying to explain that it is not for “wimps” while extolling its benefits for easing asthma (which he has) and curing scoliosis (he has a mild form of it).
To my surprise, he was happy to have perspired profusely and by the end of the class had many practical and probing questions for Jon in his head. Like: “What’s more important to achieve in the downward dog: proper form or optimal stretch?” Breath, says Jon. Or, “How do you reach enlightenment with such a physically demanding flow of poses?”. According to Jon, there is no record of anyone attaining Samadhi from Ashtanga yoga alone.

Later that evening during dinner he was brimming with more questions some of which were no match for my pedestrian grasp of yoga. I could only go as far as demonstrating how to do some poses and found out that guys have the natural ability to do asanas like Bakasana, and of course Chaturanga. At bedtime we watched John Scott’s primary series DVD together and both marvelled at Scott’s power and grace.

At the very least, I think my husband was impressed by Jon’s teaching style and approach. I overheard him relate to my brother his Mysore class experience and he almost sounded like me convincing people to learn Ashtanga from Jon Cagas. Can’t say though he will start a regular yoga practice but I’m very pleased that he now understands why I’m hooked on Ashtanga.

What a guy! That goes for you too Teacher. Om.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Om Bolo Satguru Bhagavan... Ki jai!

Melanie said...

That's so true. But here on Earth, most of the time God needs a medium. Om.