Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mood Swings

Emotions can be altered so quickly at times. Two days ago I was feeling hopeless about a number of things including my yoga practice. But last night when my teacher called me to the wall to work on my most dreaded inversion—the backbend—what I expected would be yet another inferior attempt on my part turned out to be quite the opposite, and actually an exhilarating experience, at least in my view.

Here’s the story. Some weeks ago my other teacher expressed that she wanted me to progress to the 2nd series but I needed to stand up from the backbend first. That very condition already presented an obstacle in my mind and by my calculations, set back advancing to the intermediate series by months! (Not to mention my struggles with Sirsasana lately.)

What did I have to lose, I thought, as I approached the wall last night. I felt like I had bottomed out already and what little optimism I had left was urging me to bounce back. After staying for almost 10 breaths in 3 Urdhva Dhanurasanas, Jon instructed me to walk up the wall from the backbend. It was difficult but the fighter in me enjoyed the challenge I guess and magically my breathing synchronized with my movement, each inhale helping me crawl up. Next, he wanted me to step further from the wall, push my hips forward and lengthen at the lower back. Then slowly, I extended my arms overhead and back to reach the wall and lean against it after which I pushed against the wall and actually stood up! I can’t describe how much I loved doing this last bit because it is here I realised where control is so crucial as well as strength and power in the legs. Knowing what is necessary to drop back and stand up I suppose was enough to snap me out of the doldrums. For this I am grateful again to the teaching duo of Jon and Connie. Connie for sparking my curiosity in the 2nd series (even if I’m not quite ready for it yet) and Jon, simply for your teacher’s instinct and sensitivity.

So now I’m happy again. Hopping and skipping happy. Smiling from ear to ear happy.

Here’s a sampler of dropping back and standing up from Urdhva Dhanurasana:

No comments: