Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bikram Yoga in the cold?

My sister-in-law Lya has been convincing me to try Bikram Yoga, or hot yoga. But I’ve always felt that enough heat is generated internally with Ashtanga Yoga. So doing the 26 Bikram Yoga postures out of town , minus the hot room and holding them for a full minute in the cold December weather was actually quite challenging. We were guided through the routine by no less than Bikram Choudhury himself via an audio CD which was recorded in his Hollywood studio. Bikram is known to speak in military, staccato fashion and I was glad he was not around to berate me when I couldn’t maintain Dandayamana Janushirasana or standing head to knee pose and dancer’s pose. But boy, stretching in Pada Hastasana, Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimottanasana and Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Janushirasana was fantastic! Really glorious and I must say effective since it restored my flexibility almost immediately. I also enjoyed Utkatasana, Ganurasana, Tuladandasana, Supta Vajrasana and Ustrasana.
By day 3 Lya had all the females in the clan doing Bikram Yoga, including my mother-in-law aged 75, my niece Talia who is a budding ballerina and even my three-year old daughter and baby Ashtangi below in Baddha Konasana.Lya taught us like a pro, instructing us to lock our knees, keep both elbows straight and pulled back, and hips pushed forward—cornerstones of Bikram Yoga. The impromptu class ended after 90 minutes. Lya and I practiced some advanced Bikram poses which I’m already familiar with since they’re part of the primary series of Ashtanga Yoga.
Matsyasana. That's me in Shirsasana. Urdhva Mukha Pashcimottanasana Utplutih Modified Bakasana.
My attempt at Titibhasana, or the firefly. Now if only I could lift my legs higher and straighten them... My most serene Shavasana yet, thanks to this lovely view of clear skies above.
Time for some real hot yoga—out in the sun and at the beach! Lya displays excellent form in standing head to knee, dancer's pose and trikonasana.
Would I try Bikram Yoga again? Outdoors and in good company--definitely! As I watched the last sunset of the year I realized that yoga is also about flexibility of both mind and body. So here's to trying out more yoga forms in 2009. Namaste.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was very happy to be back in the hot room. Practicing with the 8:30 girls and having excellent teachers. But practicing with my family at the beach was the best thing I did over the holidays. Like you, I, too am looking forward to doing more yoga in our little haven.

Melanie said...

I miss SR already! Can't wait to go back on our mats and yoga there. Hopefully by then we'll have warmer weather ;-)

Anonymous said...

Whooo hoo Yoga by the beach...
that was a neat entry Mel.

All of you at SR doing Yoga - so cute... of course with teacher Lya...
the addict... he he he...

I will join you next time I visit...

Nice blog - first time I saw Lelong's sanctuary...
nice...

Am going back on Tuesday...

Namaste to all of you yogis....

Farah

Unknown said...

you guys are beautiful!!

Melanie said...

Thanks Darcy! Lya looked elegantly cool in her Shaktis ;-)

Claudia said...

I like that approach, enjoying what works , pictures are beautiful

Unknown said...

Hi,
I am an editor with healthyoga.com. I really liked your website. While reviewing the website, I came across the page and was impressed with the Yoga and Health related information. I am contacting you in hopes of having Resource Tab added as a additional resource to your site. We want to spread public awareness. I hope you can help me out. Your site is a very useful resource.

Please email me back with your URL in subject line to take a step ahead and to avoid spam.

Thank you,
Kathy
kathy.healthyoga.com@gmail.com