Almost two months of no yoga due to the year-end work and Christmas rush have left me stressed, stiff and tight. So I’m really, really grateful to Lya, my sister-in-law, for giving me a 4-day Bikram Yoga “intensive” and a much-needed workout during the holiday spent at the family farm located in the Santiago Cove in Ilocos Sur.
Here a variety of crops and fruit-bearing trees are grown and cultivated. It is also the resting place of “Lelong” who lovingly built this sanctuary for his wife, children and grandchildren in the mid '80s.
Lelong and Lelang
My son and the farm goats. We have cows and chickens too.

The exterior of the house. Two bululs welcome visitors.



My favorite pieces: the long dining table where many memorable Ilocano feasts have been served...
...chandelier from Artes Espanoles...
...a farmer’s plough and centrepiece...
...this bell...
...and of course the kids’ play set that keeps them happy for hours.
Driveway leading to the beachfront.
In keeping with the rustic backdrop, Lya and I used native woven mats for practice.
It's 6:45 a.m., I'm all set for my Intro to Bikram Yoga!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hello Melanie,
...beautiful pictures of Ilocos Sur. I wish to see the place one day. Thanks for posting a link to my site. Forgive, but I forgot when or how we met.
-- Gigit (aka TheLoneRider)
Hey there,
Thanks for dropping by. I would have thought you of all people would have seen this part of the Philippines already ;-)
A few towns from Santiago there is a booming surfing-yoga community, I forget the name of the place though.
I asked you about yoga in Sagada. That's how we met :-D
Happy New Year Ate! and happy new year Gigit!!! I miss you both :)
Ate, your place is so cool. I also practiced on the same woven mat (bought from a palengke, to keep dirt of the rope also) this christmas break-- in Toledo, Cebu. Nice to learn that you do outdoors too- with the clouds and birds in the sky and mosquitoes... Which reminds me about your helper. I pray she's in good health now. How is she?
ALLEN!!!
Have missed you so much already! Yaya is better now and out of the hospital--thanks for asking :-)
It was my first time to yoga outdoors and it was TERRIFIC--even with the mosquitos which were as big as flies!
Kelan tayo practice? :-D
Post a Comment