I was asked by my son's teacher to talk about yoga at his progressive pre-school. I was hestitant at first (because I'm merely a practitioner and not a certified yoga teacher) but relented as I've always appreciated the open-minded and non-traditional methods and approach of proggressive schools. Teacher and I agreed to limit my spiel to yoga postures that mimic nature so I prepared a slide show of the animals and the things that we see in nature such as a mountain, tree, cat, dog, horse, firefly etc. and how these look as yoga poses. After some 10 slides we played guessing game by making the class guess which animals the asanas were imitating. The kids went hysterical watching the yogis do the duck, scorpion, peacock and other hatha yoga poses and at some point I really wished I had one of those Tibetan bowl-gongs to bang or even maybe Zen chimes to calm the kids. The children were holding their breaths in excitement and couldn't wait to do the poses themselves.
I had Teachers May and Kleck demonstarte Vrksasana, or tree pose.
I distributed animal mandalas (like the ones below) for them to colour at home. Mandala, I explained, in simple Sanskrit means "circle" and symbolises the connection between all beings in the universe. That is why yogis believe in treating nature and its creations with respect in order to preserve the balance of nature.
4 comments:
The credibility of a teacher lies not in the number of certificates hanging in his or her wall but in the depth and maturity of his/her practice. Yoga is a practical science. Teaching from experience is the best way to communicate and share this wonderful practice. Not everyone also has the patience and gift to teach yoga to children.
Share from the heart. That's all that you need. Om.
I'm really encouraged by your words, thanks Teacher, I miss your wisdom and hope to see you soon. Namaste.
Hi Mel! This looked like fun! Maybe you should do it regularly. My niece enjoys the poses too! Why don't I see you at practice anymore? And I don't have your number too. Hope to see you on the mat!
yoga is for all age people, kids also can do yoga.
Yoga Teacher Training Course Rishikesh
Post a Comment