Monday, November 30, 2009

My Return to Mysore (class)

Back on track. What a relief to know that it wasn't as troublesome to resume my Ashtanga yoga practice. It certainly helped that I attended a Mysore class at Chi last Saturday, my first in almost 3 months. I got cold feet and was worried my memory would fail me, true enough I forgot probably 4 asanas including Navasana (and that's why my abs didn't hurt the next day). I rocked around more than 9 times in Garbha Pindasana and went straight to walking the wall after Urdhva Mukha Paschimottanasana. I was worn out taking so many vinyasas but at least I kept my hands flat in trini and ashtau throughout the series. Felt a little spoiled after being adjusted by my teachers. I had gotten used to getting into problem poses on my own during self-practise. And boy, was it magical to perspire so much and hear that collective, sibilant ujayii breathing again. ONE breath, together as Becky would say.

To re-connect with my teachers, friends and familiar faces at Yoga Manila was sooo comforting. I soon felt like I was back to my old self. Had a delicious lunch of Salmon sa Miso and Okoy with Lyn and Sash at nearby Heat at the Shang. Then checked out the new Certified Calm merchandise. By bedtime I still had leftover adrenaline that kept me awake. My mind was filled with familiar feelings: contentment, gratitude, some relaxation, a lot of mentally dissecting asanas. I don't have that feeling of being "gone" just yet. But I am definitely looking forward to it. Om gate gate, para gate, parasam gate, Bodhi svaha.

6 comments:

Claudia said...

Welcome back!

Melanie said...

Thanks Claudia! Nice to know such a prolific yoga blogger from New York-Buenos Aires :)

Your 108 Yoga Secrets and Secret Recipes blog are truly interesting to read, which I shall add to my blog list.

Namaste.

Admin said...

It was nice to see you back in class.

Avril said...

We missed you, Mel! Glad you're back. :) Want to have lunch after class this Saturday? My class after got canceled this week and I'd love to catch up with you and the ladies.

yogainmylife said...

Welcome back Mel! It's like riding a bike! See you at next practice!

Melanie said...

Missed you all too :-)

Jon, Aves big thanks for the adjustments. Mia, you were right, it IS kind of like riding a bike, though a little trickier to remember. Every time I would look at you, I'd tell myself, "ooops! forgot that asana!" ;-)

Love to get together for coffee or lunch!