Thursday, March 26, 2009

Certified Hit

The Ortigas CBD is a bustling yoga zone. It is home to at least two major yoga shalas including Yoga Manila Ortigas located on the 5th floor of the Edsa Shangri-La Hotel. There are also authentic Indian restaurants and other establishments that serve vegetarian cuisine in the vicinity. And on the 3rd level of the Shangri-La Mall is Certified Calm, perhaps only the second boutique in the city that caters to the yoga community and is more spacious and carries a more diverse product line than the shop in Rockwell. According to "D", manager of Upward Ideas Apparel Corporation, whom I met and spoke to about the store’s merchandise, the concept behind Certified Calm is “to bring good, alternative brands that are not in the market now; to bring in products that will enhance one's practice. It also aims to be responsible with the environment; hence, it incorporates eco-friendly products.”
Manduka yoga mats

Get Om with Life: You have a product mix that defines you from competitors, what was behind the brand selection?

“Compared to a yoga studio, we're definitely more frivolous. First, we look into the styles and varied products which have to all pass our standards. Next we take into consideration the mantra and background of the companies we partner with. If they all jive with what we believe in, then it's meant to be!”

Get OM with Life: Describe your customer profile?

“Our target market is any health practitioner who is in search of beautiful, high quality products which are reasonably priced. The yogis understand us most though.”

Get OM with Life: Share some of your experiences as a practitioner that inspired you to establish Certified Calm?
“I've always loved yoga. I've been introduced to it informally since 2001 or 2002. The sessions were always good. The feeling after is pretty amazing. You're always languid and calmer afterwards. I've never been flexible but I definitely see the benefits. I used to injure easily. Yoga has lessened that. Even my chiropractor said I'm more properly aligned.

Loving the practice drove me to another level. I became quite addicted with getting all the proper gear. With the proper gear, personally, they enhance my practice. I'm even more motivated, plus, you refuse to downgrade anymore, ha ha!

I've always had a crazy sense of humor. When I feel inferior to fabulous practitioners around me, I simply console myself that "Never mind, my gear is so nice anyhow! When I fall down, oops, what a beautiful mat!" Ha ha! *wink* Yoga apparel from Prana, Green Vogue (Easyoga), be present, Zobha and Shakti
Get OM with Life: Elaborate on the importance and value of investing in high-quality yoga apparel/products?

“These apparel/products are fashionable, and yet they're not supposed to be trendy nor fashion per se. They're supposed to last you for some years which are why you pay that kind of money. Their wear and tear last longer. You save up in the end. You don't mind wearing them again and again because they're supposed to be your favorite thing to wear and they're very comfortable and versatile.

Some types of fabric cannot withstand the poses that yoga demands. They will crack and tear. The seams and the types of cloths matter.
The way the clothing absorbs moisture matter a great deal too. You don't want to be weighed down when you're sweating profusely, nor do you want to smell. The right type of fabric prevents that.
Yogitoes and Easyoga mat towels

The correct type of mats matter also. The way they just stay put, the thickness...they all matter. Certified Calm understands all these and more, and we're trying hard to address all these."


Get OM with Life: What are your thoughts on the commercialization of yoga?

"If everybody can get into it and channel their energies in that positive way, I believe with all my heart that the world will be more beautiful and peaceful. What a wonderful world then! Namaste."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have the Manduka Eko Lite yoga mat? How much? Thanks.

Unknown said...

Eko-lites will come in before end of April. It retails around Php 3,000 more or less.

Unknown said...

Hi Certified,

I own all natural DHARMA yoga products and would like to consign these in your store. Please contact me at 0915-2943441. Thanks!