I sometimes find myself so absorbed and concentrated on my practice, so much that the exhaustion I feel after class carries over to the next day. Other factors may contribute to the heavy feeling--such as having a bad day at work or having bad luck in business--whatever the reason, the practice of Ashtanga yoga is taken very seriously and can be both physically and mentally draining.
My friend Lyn and I have this long-running discussion over how to balance our "serious" Ashtanga practice with a fun yet still physical activity. We've deliberated cross-training with squash, capoiera (?!), wall climbing, or running a marathon (which I personally feel can be hard on the joints). We're also considering doing Iyengar Yoga to help us go deeper with some of the primary series poses. And when neither of our spouses were available for Yoga Manila's Partner Yoga class last weekend, Lyn and I were tempted to do the class together since we're evenly matched in terms of body types.
Here's what happens in Partner Yoga. This is taken from one of my favourite sites, http://www.partneryogacharleston.com
Doesn't it look like great fun? And you can do this with music too! Friends who attended the Partner Yoga class have said that they enjoyed it. I hope Yoga Manila can offer this as a regular class since yogis can practise inversions such as headstands, handstands, arm balancing and many other poses found in the primary and intermediate series in a less intense context. We're still Ashtangis at heart, we just need a little variety. Right, Lyn, Avril, Redge, Allen, Idol?
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
The practice of Ashtanga is very powerful and detoxifying. When one has shifted the focus from shear muscular contraction to the more subtle pranic flow, the practice becomes light and less intense. There is a feeling of rejuvenation after the practice. If you find yourself too exhausted after, it may mean that you're forcing yourself too much exerting more energy than is usually required during class.
om.
Mel, we always have discussions but so far we've only achieved wall climbing hehehe...I hope doing the marathon will push through, (but so hot and humid lately..yikes) :)I happen to get hold of the contact details of capoiera instructor...I so wanna try it..you wanna?;).and yes...this video is my dream...I totally agree with you there, I hope there will be classes like this one
cheers,
lyn
Jon:
I absolutely agree. I'm hoping to get to that stage when my mind is completely blank when practising and where I imagine the flow to be best experienced and optimized. I used to feel rejuvenated, as you put it, when I was doing only half the series. But recent worldly and unavoidable pressure have been creeping into my practice I suppose.
Thanks for the reminder Teacher :-)
LYN:
Napagalitan tuloy ako o! Hehehe.
I've signed you up for the marathon na silly so don't wimp out on me ha.
I heard capoiera is for kids? We might look like their lolas...
Sali nyo ko sa Capoeira, hehehe.. di ko pa natatry yun eh.
We can have a special session on Partner Yoga (can't call it acroyoga because the term is a trademark) just for fun if you want. I teach it to UP Pep and actually choreographing a piece for their concert this March. Post ko dito yung preview if I remember to bring my camera next training day. :-)
Yes, please, please, please have a special partner yoga class. I speak not only for me and Lyn--a lot are interested. And yes, do post the preview soon.
Capoiera? Sure, join us! I think it's a Brazilian dance-cum-martial arts form. Not sure. All I know is that young people are into it and that's why I'm worried that Lyn and I are going to be out of place. Pero kung isasama ka namin, meron na kaming " K " ;-)
I second that JON...yes please please please join us at the capoiera
and YES! lets have a special session for partner yoga...:)
cheers,
lyn
Lyn:
Next time you leave a comment, can you please put your name?
This is how you do it: on the part that says "Choose an identity", tick "Name/URL" and then write your name, Lyn.
Please stop posting comments as "Anonymous" on my blog and other people's blogs, ok? Haaay, you're so funny!
See you tomorrow Lynnie!
ok betchang, thanks for pointing that out to me...geesh im so behind ;-)
Betchang, hehehe... you still haven't told me where that name came from.
Anyway, traditional yogis won't even consider acro-yoga a legitimate yoga practice... but hey Patanjali even said there are several ways to direct the mind's energies. If that will help people find their inner peace... so be it. But I'm also a movement instructor and that part of me says it's fun, challenging and although can be scary... it can definitely help build one's confidence, trust on other people, letting go and surrender.
Yeah, I know Capoeira but haven't done it pa. Regarding Partner Yoga, I'll suggest to Connie. It can be a special workshop or for fun lang.
Ya, tell Connie and generate more revenue for YM w/ partner yoga classes. You see, ang daming sasali dyan.
I think the West will always put its spin on traditional Eastern ways--I believe that's just how the world evolves. As long as AcroYoga doesn't pretend to be anything but fun and physical, I'll embrace it :-)
Lots of people get burned out with Ashtanga because it IS difficult. So let's listen to the "market" and give them alternatives that can actually help them build strength and possibly coordinate breathing w/ movement better, give them the confidence nga to help ease them into Ashtanga.
Don't know if I'm making sense...
Mel!
Worldly and unavoidable pressures have also been interfering with my practice! Grrr.. I can't believe people here can stand resigning with a 3-month notice period. It's sooo long!
Haaay. Can't wait to go back to Manila for good. Nag fafantasize na nga ako sa mga Yoga Manila sessions eh. Haha!
Ben-tot! ;-)
This week is my last week, haaay, I thought it would never end. But I'm approaching the "finish line" and it feels so gooood! Inggit ka? Hehehe.
When are you coming back? April? Ah wala, by that time we're doing
2nd series na. In fact we're learning to do handstands na (w/o a wall) after Utkatasana. Galing talaga ni Jon!
Yup... naiinggit ako!! Haha!
I look at the calendar and see how "vast" March is with its 31 days and I cringe at the thought of waiting out the entire month.
April 18 is my flight back to be exact. Wait for me!!
Hey Ben, I was only kidding about the handstands ha. Alam ko kasi uwing-uwi ka na. Hehehe. Sorry couldn't help it. Pero yung drop-back miracle ni Chona is for real.
April 18th pa??? 2011??? Don't worry we will keep you in mind as we do our Pincha Mayurasanas, Kapotasanas, etc. ;-)
Wow, I can't believe I missed all of the above! My last day of work is on March 11, so just a little more. 1.5 weeks to be exact! I'll have to check if I can afford the capoeira classes, because I allotted all my savings for Thailand and the 4 classes each week with Connie and Jon before I leave. :P That's a lot of yoga!
But you know, so far di pa ako burned out with Ashtanga. I guess it's also because I do like a certain amount of routine and I'm aiming for that time when I can meditate while practicing instead of focusing on getting my muscles into the right contortions. :P When I don't have work to distract me anymore and I can focus on having a REAL daily practice, sana it comes back to me.
What a mouthfull. Anyway, I'll send you the contact I have for the capoeira group in Club 650, Libis (next to Shopwise). I'll see you all on Saturday!
I've had classmates in Perea who have shifted to another yoga style because they became fatigued with Ashtanga. Ideally I guess the practice should be more wholistic and one that involves both physical and mental work. So far I feel I have yet to be properly indoctrinated into Ashtanga and would like to wrap my head more around how meditation enhances the practice, for example. You know what a nerd I am, Aves di ba? From a critical viewpoint, that's what's lacking in my personal practice.
But that's not to say that I'm not enjoying Ashtanga anymore. On the contrary, as I let go of my toxic job that has made me live like a zombie for 2 years, I've been feeling...SWELL! Just still exhausted since I sleep for only 4 hours a day without any naps :-(
4 hours of sleep a day? You crazy woman! Maybe that's why you don't have energy after practice, even if you're stamina is up to the task.
I agree about the meditation. I wish we had meditation and pranayama classes/exercises/lectures as well. As I said last week, I've always been interested in the spirituality part of it too...Jon, any pranayama classes opening soon? :)
Me too, I'm very curious about the spirituality in yoga. Just feel a little guilty since I'm not devout in my own religion. But I do like how some concepts are universal.
One more thing I would like to be more stringent about is eating in moderation (in the words of Mr. Mitahara). I went vegetarian for a few weeks last year and it really helped my practice in that I felt lighter, although since I probably wasn't balancing meals correctly, I also felt weaker.
Haaay, they can make a whole curriculum out of this Ashtanga, 'no?
Sooo true. My facebook status at the moment: Avril is failing miserably at being vegetarian.
Post a Comment