Thursday, October 2, 2008

Yoga-inspired apparel

Just a quick post…my sister-in-law needs help in coming up with a brand name and logo for a yoga-inspired clothing line she’s developing for Certified Calm, a shop in the Shang mall. She’ll be using all-natural fabrics like linen and cotton as well as indigenous materials like rope, stones and shells for embellishments. Hope you can post your suggestions here. C'mon, I know we can think of something better than "Lulu" or "karma" or "prAna" or "be present"...you get the picture.

Lya, my sis-in-law, is a fashion designer trained in Paris and New York. She ran a boutique in Greenbelt in the ‘90s and sold a line of ready-to-wear apparel in Rustan’s. Today you’ll mostly find her designing wedding ensembles from her atelier in Libis and practicing Bikram in Greenhills. Lya is currently training for a yoga competition this November which she is inviting me to participate in. “There’s no competition in Ashtanga, practise is personal and not a contest,” I said. Right?

Bikram has been visibly effective for Lya who has lost weight significantly since she got hooked last year. She has been persuading me to try Bikram but I have been lured more by the grace, power and elegance of Ashtanga. Besides since I began my yoga journey in March, I’ve already shed 8 lbs with Ashtanga (not that weight loss is my goal).

Anyway since this blog is dedicated to Ashtanga, this Bikram post has a purpose here. Below is a video of esteemed Bikram instructor and 2005 Bishnu Charan Ghosh cup winner Esak Garcia demonstrating poses from the Advanced Bikram routine now being introduced in Bikram studios in the country.



See how many Ashtanga asanas you can identify from the Advanced Bikram routine. For those consulting Ashtanga books, there is no need to look further than the Ashtanga primary and secondary series. {Note: Ashtanga is a progressive practice that begins with theYoga Chikitsa or primary series; followed by Nadi Shodana or intermediate series which brings the ashtanga vinyasa practice from a physical to more energetic levels; then comes Sthira Bhaga or the advanced series A described as “transcending gravity”; finally, the advanced series B elevates the practice to greater heights.}

The advanced series of Bikram postures makes a quantum leap from the original set of 26 poses. Here, the most classic of all yoga poses, Padmasana or lotus position, is introduced with a number of variations. Bikram practitioners also get a taste of Sirsasana or headstands and full backbends in the advanced series. You can view the basic Bikram poses at the Bikram's Yoga College of India website. The school is located in Los Angeles, California and was established as a global headquarters.

8 comments:

Ben-Ariel said...

Nice vid. It came to a point when I seriously thought his lower back would break. Ha ha. Amazing.

I should drop by a Bikram studio in Manila when I'm back. Other than Yoga Manila and Pulse. I'm planning a "tour" of yoga studios. Can't wait!

Melanie said...

When will you be in town? I'd love to meet up ;-D

I'd be happy to give you the grand tour of Manila's bustling Yoga studios!

Anonymous said...

Yey Melanie!

Hurray to that 8lbs lost...and more importantly hurray we now have more choices other than Aura!

Lyn
p.s. daughter is laughing, ill tell you why tomorrow

Ben-Ariel said...

I'll be home this December. 3 weeks of free time for yoga! I'm so curious about all the yoga studios. I feel like there are so many out there already.

Tesa Celdran said...

Omg, so happy someone is coming up with yoga wear. Please please please, add Pulse to your list of clients who will carry your line. We'd love to have your sister's yoga wear in our studios!

As for a name, maybe something to do with movement (may be more original than breathing).

Anonymous said...

Mel,
How about "drishti" "banha" "core yoga"...or yung mga chants in sanskrit..you can pick out the core meaning from there...names that sometimes we tend to neglect when we're executing a pose..Ikaw pa..Mas magaling ka dyan :D

LYn

Melanie said...

Tesa and Lyn thanks for your suggestions! Will pass them on to Lya--I'm sure she'll be thrilled to sell her clothes in Pulse Tesa ;-)

Anonymous said...

...and so the after yoga line shall be named..."My Story" L. which will soon be at CERTIFIED CALM at the Shangrila Mall. I do Bikram Yoga and from the studio I head straight to my shop in Libis. I feel best when wearing cotton and linen fabrics after all the sweating in the HOT ROOM. I'm sure all yogis can testify to that. These natural fibers are porous making clothing more comfortable and cool. Please find us soon at CERTIFIED CALM.