Monday, September 29, 2008

Passive Yoga

After two straight days of physical exertion involving wall climbing followed by Led Ashtanga, my body sorely needed some serious kneading.

I opted for "Nuat phaen boran" or ancient Thai massage. Thai massage is also called northern-style Thai massage, Buntautuk style, Old Medicine Hospital Style, traditional Thai massage, Traditional Thai Medical Massage, Thai classical massage, and get this, Thai Yoga, Thai Yoga massage, passive yoga or assisted yoga. Perfect, right? More yoga!

Thai massage is believed to have been developed by Jivaka Kumar Bhaccha, physician to Buddha, more than 2,500 years ago in India. It made its way to Thailand, where the Ayurvedic techniques and principles gradually became influenced by traditional Chinese medicine. For centuries, Thai massage was performed by monks as one component of Thai medicine.

What is Thai massage like? For me, it is definitely more invigorating and rigorous yet in the end more relaxing than run-of-the mill spa massages. It’s also referred to as Thai yoga massage because the therapist uses his/ her hands, knees, legs, and feet to move you into a series of yoga-like stretches. Therapists even greet customers in Namaste fashion. Muscle compression, joint mobilization, and acupressure are also used during treatment. Have a look:

I also prefer Thai massage more than the popular Swedish or Aromatherapy variety because no oil is applied and you are fully dressed in loose clothing. A typical Thai massage is done on a padded mat on the floor and usually lasts from 60 minutes to two hours. Except for the ambient music they played and the green tea that was served after my massage, this type of therapy dispenses with all other spa treats such as scented oils, terry cloth robe, a sauna and hot shower so it's competitively priced at only P250! I also discovered on their website that they have a branch right on the street where my shala is located.

Thai massage claims to provide the following benefits: relaxes, reduces stress, improves circulation, boosts energy, increases flexibility, improves range of motion, and centers the mind and body. No wonder they call it “assisted yoga”.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Where is this Thai massage place?

Melanie said...

Hi Chona!
It's called...TonTon Traditional Thai Massage. I know, walang dating the name and the massages are probably commercialized versions of the ancient treatment (though they are certified by a legit Thai organization) but once I got past all that, I felt so much better after the massage. I'm never going back to a "spa" for sure.

Avril said...

Hi Mel,

I'm so envious of you at the moment. I had a really good Thai massage in Cebu a few months back, so I decided to try Solemates Thai massage in Eastwood. Not great, I don't recommend it. I'll be keeping an eye out for TonTon though. :) See ya!

Melanie said...

Hi Avril!
The TonTon main branch is in Cebu--maybe you got your massage there? I'm looking at their flyer now and they have an outlet in Eastwood on the 9th floor of the Club 650.

By the way, I enjoyed your Aparigraha post today--you do know how to make yoga relevant to daily life :-D

Avril said...

Wow, that should be easy for me to get to. I'll definitely check it out one of these days. Thanks!

Glad you liked it. :) I like how you've been able to get your school friends into yoga. I haven't been very successful at that. By the way, I met Allen once a month or so ago in Pulse. Don't know if she'd remember me though, but she seems really nice. :)

Anonymous said...

Thai massage! 100 baht.

In thailand, massage spoils me after climbing. I miss krabi :(

Ate , i went to Wat Pho. Lovely temple--They train the therapists there and the massage manual is etched in marble murals!

---
Hi Avril! Of course I remember. How are you? I can't afford to go to pulse anymore cos I need to focus on climbing now. Take care and hope to see you soon:D

Melanie said...

Allen:

Wow! When you go to Thailand this month sana you can go back to Wat Po...take pics naman of the massage manual on marble! When are you actually leaving?

Avril said...

Hi Mel,
I finally get around to trying the Tonton place here in libis. You were right, VERY nice massage. You could tell they really knew what they were doing and I loved that they used their feet and legs too so the massage went really deep.

Hey, I'm thinking of taking Neil Barker's Mysore/led class in YM Alabang tomorrow and Sunday. Will I see you there?

Melanie said...

Avril!

Sorry! I haven't been posting lately so I missed your message on the Neil Barker Mysore class...too bad, I would have gone had I known you had plans of attending. How was it? Did you pick up any pranayama techniques?