Part of my yoga practice is a daily ritual of perusing the blogs of fellow practitioners. It keeps me in the loop and aware of what’s going on in the local yoga community.An interesting read is the blog of Jon Cagas who discusses a full-spectrum of topics from durians in Davao to his yogic adventures with pals Chona, Jane, Trin and Crissy. His yoga studies have taken him around the globe and have made him a credible resource for the theory and practice of Ashtanga , Hatha Yoga and Pranayama as well as something of a culinary expert in Middle Eastern vegetarian cuisine.
His post today caught my eye and I hope to draw others attention to it. Yoga Sutras Q&A, sheds light on how to approach the yoga philosophy with an open mind. He deconstructs the opening chant, which if translated literally would provoke but in Sanskrit is beautiful and poetic. In class, Jon's voice is deep, booming and heartfelt, as he goes through the prayer line by line so that students may respond and connect with the chant.
Being chiefly a teacher, he spares readers a visit to Indian websites that attempt to explain the sage’s eight-fold path of yoga which yes, can be confounding, perhaps too metaphysical for other denominations. He answers 7 basic questions for the layman in this 2-part series.
Having only started my practice, I’m still at a level which many may consider superficial: I’m doing yoga for self-gratification, to de-stress and escape the demands of my job, to forget about the difficulties of parenthood, to restore the flexibility I once had as a ballet dancer, to perspire and a host of other narcissistic reasons. I’m at a stage where I’m enjoying the physical benefits more than the spiritual. This could be the reason why I can’t memorize the primary series. “Dance with it!” Jon says during vinyasas. Now that, I understand.
If you’re like me—beginning to feel guilty about not being diligent enough—go to this link and post questions. On the surface, I think (and this is my pedestrian interpretation only, ok?) the goal of yoga is to achieve a balance between mind and body. One must be fully-focused and concentrated, stilling the mind and controlling it with a long-term and earnest practice of yoga. Success in yoga comes to the keen and intent practitioner.
Namaste. Practice with integrity!
3 comments:
I hear ya Melanie,
Scanning the blogs of fellow practitioners such as yours is my daily cup of coffee...It's fun to have an outlet sometimes specially when you dont have many friends with such passion in yoga to relate with...:) HMMMM...thinking of doing a blog of my own but.... hehehe...I think I'm contented with reading the blogs for now :)
Lyn
C'mon, c'mon Lyn, blog na! The yoga community is really growing online just look at how many yoga bloggers there are already--instructors or students--they all have something worthwhile to say. Sige na, para you're not always "Anonymous". Just watch it lang, soon you'll discover you're so hooked you have little time left for self-practice ;-D
M.
and so the after yoga line shall be named..."My Story" L. which will soon be at CERTIFIED CALM at the Shangrila Mall. I do Bikram Yoga and from the studio I head straight to my shop in Libis. I feel best when wearing cotton and linen fabrics after all the sweating in the HOT ROOM. I'm sure all yogis can testify to that. These natural fibers are porous making clothing more comfortable and cool. Please find us soon at CERTIFIED CALM.
Post a Comment