Saturday, July 12, 2008

OM the Road

“You’re a Yoga butterfly!” said Lyn, a new friend I made at Yoga Manila. She recognised the “symptoms” of my yoga affliction easily: fluttering about from one shala to another and trying out different classes and teachers was something she herself was guilty of since she began her yoga journey two years ago. She was among the first students of Pio Baquiran when VYC opened in Ortigas and now combines a restorative hatha routine with a brisk Ashtanga practice.

Thanks to Lyn, who has given me inspiration for my new task: to get off my sit-bones more often and go Om the Road to tour Manila’s yoga studios. I suggested to her that we re-visit Pulse Yoga after Tesa Celdran returns from Mysore, India (can’t wait for that!). Lyn, let’s make sure we time this carefully so we can both do the inversions, ok?

This weekend I was at Yoga Manila’s new home in Good Qi Circle, an elegant and tastefully-designed holistic wellness centre on the 5th floor of the Greenbelt Mansion. The Good Qi Circle website claims that the 100 square metre studio can fit up to 30 people per class but the Led Ashtanga session I attended seemed already cramped with just 10 practitioners. The changing rooms could also accommodate only three people at a time. Nevertheless, what the studio ostensibly lacks in floor space it overcompensates for in the quality of teaching. After all, this is the mecca of Ashtanga Yoga in the country and is home to an elite breed of certified yoga instructors some of whom trained under Paul Dallaghan in Thailand as well as from Sri K. Pattabhi Jois and Sharath Rangaswamy.

To my surprise, Peachie Kilayco was conducting a Kid’s Yoga class when I arrived twenty minutes early. I was so sure she would have little energy left for the Led class after teaching the munchkins. One little girl was repeatedly asking why the A/Cs were not swtiched on seeing as there were 3 units inside the shala. Her brother, in the meantime, would flick li'l sister's shoulder everytime Peachie was looking away. But throughout their shenanigans, Peachie would always reign them in patiently and contain their energies. According to Peachie, it's important to relate to them in their language. Hence, Urdvha Dhanurasana--or the bridge--is called "Yabadabadoo" (a trademark Yoga Manila term she says) and Shalabha-asana is more commonly referred to as the Grasshopper.

Her teaching style for the Led Ashtanga class was the complete opposite. As it turns out this was not a beginner's class, so she had high expectations for all students to perform the postures on their own with little assistance. In cases like this, I urge students to raise their hands for help as this is a service that you are paying for as much as it is the duty of a teacher to recognise and respond to an SOS. Peachie was at my side with a wave of my hand to carefully, and clinically, coach and explain the procedures in executing the pose. This blend of personalised training and military-style instruction helps in completing the entire primary series in under 2 hours and should attract classic Type-A personalities and serious practitioners looking for a challenging yoga discipline.

In terms of the facilities, the studio does not provide towels nor offer hot tea but it is equipped with props like blocks, straps, and even spritzers to lubricate your arms during Garbha Pindasana and Kukkutasana--a clear sign that Yoga Manila focuses more on a student's practice than his or her comfort which is fine by my standards. So from a customer's point of view, Yoga Manila is the place to learn world-class Ashtanga Yoga and if it's your first time to try other yoga classes it's best learned here from the experts. I give Yoga Manila 4 and a half out of 5 Lotuses :-)


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie. Avril here. I've been practicing at Yoga Manila Ortigas with Connie and I'm loving it. I was thinking of checking out other studios just for exposure's sake, though I do believe I've found my home with YM Ortigas. Just wondering though, with all the different teaching styles, do you think it would be detrimental to my practice to attend classes by other teachers and be told to do 1 thing 1 day and another the next?

Melanie said...

Hi Avril. I will answer your question based on my experience so far. I work in media and it's second nature for me to look at all sources and decide which is most credible. For my yoga practice, I've tried three of the top studios already and each time I left those shalas I come away with something new learned--whether it's a new technique or faster pace of instruction--which yes, may be confusing for new practitioners like us, but I would say not really detrimental to one's practice as you pointed out. As a matter of fact, it should boost it. Also, most of the Ashtanga instructors here have been certified by the same alliance/organization and at one point completed their training during the same period so the differences may be minor and even negligible. My advise: try to memorize and internalize the primary series and don't hesitate to ask questions from your teacher.

Hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have more questions. I am such a nerd when it comes to information :-)

Anonymous said...

You made some good points there. I tried Kundalini Yoga and the classes in the gym before I found Ashtanga. I guess I'll try out Pulse and maybe the new Bikram studio in Eastwood when it opens. Thanks.

Melanie said...

Hey Avril, wait until Tesa Celdran comes back from Mysore, India before going to Pulse. If you can't wait, try the Power 1 class under Ganesh but make sure you pick a mat close to him coz he speaks softly.

Anonymous said...

HI Melanie,
Yes, I see the symptoms...always on the lookout of new and upcoming studios?...you have more than one yoga book in your shelf?...Im betting you also have various subscriptions of yoga magazines.....haha...So you see, Im seeing you in myself not so long time ago...I forgot to tell you, Ive tried Iyengar yoga too
Must say, love your energy girl..its contagious and its not hard not to catch that fever specially when practicing next to you on your not so "energetic" days! hope to see you soon...LYN

PS.. dont worry on not being able to memorize or internalize the poses...the trick is..always place your mat at the back...so you have plenty to copy on ...thats what i do,...and would u believe..until now? wahahaha

Melanie said...

LYN!!! Yey you left a comment--as if we don't see each other 'no? You're gonna get referenced a lot on this blog girl, get ready :-)

If you're there ahead of me on Saturday, please, please save me a space--BEHIND you, where else? ;-)

Your mimic,
M.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie! I love doing side trips on my journey as well--have tried different styles under different instructors, by chance or by choice (come to think of it, could just be part of the journey itself, he he). Each one is a learning experience. Yesterday, I did ashtanga in the morning and hatha in the evening--yogaddict! I'd say that the two are complementary, at least for me, for now. Let's see where the road leads. Kelan tayo mag practise? =D

Melanie said...

Hi Chona, yes, we should practice together. Do you self-practice for Ashtanga or are there classes na in VYC? Hope you can let me know if they've opened classes there already. I agree Hatha is great preparation for Ashtanga and complements it along the way.

Wanna practice on Saturday?

Anonymous said...

Melanie,
Sounds great...but i think it would be much better if i save a space beside me :)

Lyn

Melanie said...

Lyn, OK basta I will always follow you ha? You know the routine much more than I do. Guess what? I am going to Hoze's class later because I'm dying to yoga--especially in this gloomy weather. I feel so tight na nga coz I missed the Monday class.