While here, Jon has been refining and polishing our practice. In the Mysore tradition he began Day 2 (first day was Saturday, June 28th) with a chant then started counting and calling out the poses in Sanskrit. He emphasized the relevance and relation of proper breathing, root locks and gaze to executing the asanas. We must experience tristana, he says, or the union of ujayi, the bandhas and dristi. He also scrutinized for us Suryas A and B making adjustments in the way we performed every single vinyasa in both Sun Salutations. In the past two days under his guidance, I have already deepened my practice beyond what I thought I could achieve.
I fell in love with Ashtanga Yoga when I first tried it during the Summer. The nature of my job makes self-practice almost impossible. So I have been feeding my interest in Ashtanga with research. I may be familiar with the techniques in theory but in practice, I had been clueless about, for example, how to negotiate my arms past my back or knees to bind and maintain the twist for Maricyasana. Not anymore.
We all received individualised instruction from Jon who honed our skills and gently coaxed us, boosted our confidence and with smooth, swift adjustments eased us into the poses. This naturally extended our class past the requisite 90 minutes, much to our luck. What seemed daunting before now made perfect sense as he revealed the steps to get there. That, for me, separates a great teacher from a good one.
Jon also has much more to impart than many other instructors. Having obtained a Masters degree in sports education from UP, he is well-versed on human anatomy and the key muscles of yoga. He is also a professional trainer certified by the American Council of Exercise (ACE). In short, Jon brings to the table a combination of Eastern philosophies and Western science which basically makes him well-equipped for Mysore.
Back to class at UP. Jon helped one of the senior Psych professors execute Maricyasana B, and as for me, he got me past that all through Maricyasana D. Whew! For a newbie, that should qualify as a major milestone (right?). Not even an Indian yogi at a popular shala could assist me with that set of asanas. Maybe next time we don’t have to skip Bhujapidasana all the way to Supta Konasana hmmm?
Before I get ahead of myself...watching Jon Cagas demonstrate the full primary series including Pashasana, Eka Pada Sirsasana and other poses from the intermediate series truly inspires awe and respect. Looking back at the journey of this 31-year old Ashtangi, he has also made his mark as a member of the flagship Team Yoga Philippines which sought to bring the yoga boom beyond exclusive Makati to places like the UP gym. With its pared-down, no frills quality UP has attracted university professors, mountain climbers, former ballerinas and Elsa, my classmate, who is a monk. Should he come back to the country and to UP after AYRI, then hopefully we will see more aptly-trained Ashtangins north of the capital.
Jon ended our session with a chant which was offered in gratitude to both teacher and students to celebrate mutual learning. I went home with a sense of tranquility, suspending all apprehensions that tomorrow I would have achey, “Mysore” muscles.
12 comments:
Hi, I really enjoy visiting your blog. You pack it with so much information which you compress so well I don't need to make any unnecessary stops at other sites. Hope Jon Cagas does come back because after reading this post I feel like learning yoga under him.
When is the next class of Jon?
Hi Anna, unfortunately the Saturday class was Jon's final one in Manila before heading to his hometown Davao then Mysore. But I will post updates of his return as I get the news.
Question: can an absolute beginner do ashtanga yoga? It sounds like a pretty intense workout.
I read that you have mountain climbers in your class, is it because they use it for cross-training? I'm a runner and I'm wondering if it's advisable to do yoga for cross-training?
Hello, I'm blog hopping from Jon's site. He sounds like a yoga celeb from your writing. Very nice :) Cheers!
Hi Melanie, greetings from Mysore!
Aw, thanks for the mention in your blog, truly an honor.
I, too, have a blog, we should link!
Will be posting about my journey here soon, just getting my feet wet this week.
Cheers!
Hi Tesa :-) You don't know it yet but I am a HUGE fan. Not sure you remember me but I joined your Mysore class at Pulse and introduced myself to you. I had so wanted to cover Pulse's launch but had to attend a gathering with in-laws out of town. Once you're settled in Mysore may I please, please get the scoop from you? Tell me everything and anything: about drinking chai there (what's it like?), Pattabhi (I heard he loves kids?), Sharath (who's a better teacher?), lewd, young Indian boys, whatever comes to mind. Show them over there what Filipino Ashtangis are made of!!!
Hi Melanie,
I'm now in Davao and just taught an intro to ashtanga at Smashville Fitness Center.
Hope to see you again when I come back.
Namaste,
Jon
Hi Jon! I know all about your Ashtanga workshops in Davao from Chona's and Jane's blogs--I'm sure it's been very successful so far. I'm sure meron ka na dyan mga Jon Cagas disciples ;-)
Hi Melanie!
Sorry for the late reply, the power has been on and off here due to the monsoon coming in, strong rains in the afternoon.
You're too funny, a fan?! Pshaw!
Well, only met Guruji face to face when I registered, he stares at you, or right through you. But when you give him a gift and touch his feet, he smiles. No photos allowed inside the shala, so can't take of him there. His birthday na lang.
Sharath and his mother run the morning practices, they're busy adjusting and dropping back everyone. Sharath and Saraswati may look stern but when you smile and say thank you, they acknowledge.
I'll make a longer post after the birthday to tell about my journey.
As for lewd young Indian boys, hmmm, so far, the youngest one I know is the flower seller at the shala, and he's sweet.
And yes, the chai in wonderful. Will make a food post soon. Just gathering some stories.
Thanks Melanie!
Tesa, don't you drop back on your own already? Is this the pose where you're standing in prayer position feet apart and drop to bridge? I've seen you in Pulse do that and then stand up...uy, they must be so impressed with you ;-)
Post a Comment