Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bad Karma?

One of my favourite yoga images is this photograph from Alan Little. The yoga mats seem like they're floating in space but they're actually laid out on the floor of a shala in Munich, Germany.

I was puzzled that yogini friend Sasheen always comes late for class. She would stride into the shala, unfurl her mat and start her suryas as the rest of us would begin clasping our toes for padangusthasana. After an hour and a half of Led Ashtanga, she looked spent but always rejuvenated. Whereas I would crawl out of my mat, drenched in sweat, gulp down my water without caring if I was spilling half of it on my front and barely able to keep my hands steady while I write my name down on the sign up sheet. I am younger than Sash and longed to know her secret. So says Sash, the trick is simply to warm up before yoga.

That got me thinking. In ballet I used to do plies, backbends and leg extensions at the barre before going to centre for the floor exercises. For tennis, I’d limber up by moving my arms and joints in circles as well as doing some light lunges. But in yoga, we greet the sun right after the opening mantra in two fast-paced sequences that leave you gasping for breath. For many Ashtangis, the Sun Salutation is warm up in itself, especially Surya Namaskar B, which has a little of all the asanas in Ashtanga Yoga says Yoga Manila instructor Peachie Kilayko.

Working daily sometimes up to 12 hours straight in front of a computer always leaves me stiff as a board and unable to practice regularly, so if you’re like me, you may benefit from some other form of loosening up. For Sasheen, jogging around her La Vista neighbourhood complements yoga (and also explains why she's been late for class).

This now brings me to an article from the internet arm of my former employer, CNBC. Jennifer Wolf Perrine writes in “Bad Karma: When Yoga Harms instead of Heals”, that yoga became her salvation and then her damnation after she injured her arm in class. She reports that in 2006, nearly 4,500 people in the US ended up in the emergency room for treatment of yoga-related injuries, most commonly these include strained muscles, rotator cuff tears in the shoulders, exacerbated carpal tunnel syndrome in the wrists, torn cartilage in the knees, and lower-back and neck injuries such as herniated disks.

Being a “yoga butterfly”, a few months ago I encountered an overzealous instructor who was a lethal match for my over enthusiasm to learn. The result: a knee injury which has been compromising my right leg in ardha baddha padmottanasana, maricyasanas C and D, kukkutasana, padmasana, urdhva padmasana, baddha padmasana, yoga mudrasana, utplutih and leaves me sore and feeling extremely short-changed while lying in shavasana. I have been numbing the pain with 120 mg of Etoricoxib and by rubbing on the affected area a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory ointment twice daily, both doctor-prescribed.

But unlike Jennifer Wolf Perrine, I love yoga too much to feel betrayed by it. I still do Led Ashtanga but now I am more mindful of my limitations, heed my body’s signals, pace myself, modify the poses even stopping if I have to, and sometimes warm up to prevent injuries. I believe that yoga has more potential to heal than to hurt if done properly and when learned under the guidance of a qualified instructor. Studies reveal that yoga helps relieve chronic lower-back pain, depression and anxiety.

Ashtanga Yoga calls for strength, flexibility, proper alignment. Terri Kennedy, founder of Ta Yoga House in New York City adds that, “Yoga is about intention, attention and breath. If you keep the breath steady, then you can begin to steady the mind.” Kennedy who is also chairwoman of the board of Yoga Alliance, an American organization that sets standards for yoga teaching emphasises “That's the essence of the practice. It's not just about a perfect-looking posture.”

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie! I have had injuries while doing yoga a couple of times already and they came without a warning. I was already holding a pose, steady, and something just snapped. "Awareness" they said...or lack of it. But I think my case is different--walang finger prints ng yoga teacher on me so I couldn;t sue him, ha ha! Joke! It was wholly my fault. Teacher "suspended" me for a week or so, so I could rest my injured leg. He also recommended ways to modify poses so as not to strain my leg while it healed. He also mentioned yoga therapy but we didn't reach that point. But of course, there was more to my pain than just a pulled/torn muscle--resignation from my job completed my healing =D

Maybe you can ask your yoga teacher for advice? or an ayurveda doctor?

Hope you get well soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie,
Lyn here...hmmmm...I guess thats just one of "those" days...even our favorite teacher Pio has those "bad" days...at one time he was showing me his injured wrist for doing a certain pose...and thoughts bubble...even a yoga teacher whos been doing yoga forever suffers from sprains and torn muscles!...
I once fell from doing a headstand...for some 2 weeks I thought I've broken a bone...But teacher reassured me they're just pulled muscles..
I guess, treat yoga just as learning how to ride a bike :D you know what I mean?
Get well girl and I look forward to having your mat next to mine again and share energies...see ya soon!

Melanie said...

CHONA!!!

I like ALL your recommendations for treating my knee injury, most especially, resigning from my job, haha. For me, it seems like work has been getting in the way of yoga. But then, how can I support my yoga "capppicco" if I don't work, right?

I thought Ayurveda was an eastern-style of cooking (seriously)...it's "medical" pala :-D

Hey, I'll still see you on Saturday, right? I've been counting the days to that class!

Melanie said...

LYN:

Sometimes, I fear I would have to just sit out half of the primary series because of the pain on my right knee.

But knowing that even an accomplished Ashtangi like you can have injuries is relief enough for me ;-D

Treat yoga like I was learning to ride a bike? Guess what? I NEVER LEARNED HOW TO RIDE ONE! Haha! You know what else? I've dove down to almost 200 feet in Galera without even knowing how to swim! Yep! I've really been kind of gung-ho in life, I suppose that's why I injured my knee in the first place.

But I do know what you mean and really appreciate your advice :-)

See you on Saturday?

Anonymous said...

Dove down 200 feet?? gosh! I cant do that in a million years even though I know how to swim...so hats off to you :D

I guess when I compared yoga to learning how to ride a bike I actually had the asana "headstand" in my mind...thats the one thing thats really traumatic for me..I've been in a training wheel for quite sometime already..just like a training wheel of a bike...the wall...so when teacher challenged me, telling me I should let go of that "training" wheel already...I listened and guess what...I fell! (cannot sue him too coz there's no fingerprints) haha JOKE! In hindsight, If I didnt let go of the wall...I would probably be forever in a training wheel...


So get well girl and keep up the yoga attitude!

Anonymous said...

Nice shot of the yoga mats. Obviously, the footprints on the blue mat on the left foreground belongs to a yogi who practises hard. This photo is a great contrast to all the shots of yogis contorting their bodies into different postures.

Melanie said...

GRETCHEN:

I couldn't agree more with you. I guess that's what attracted me to this picture. Visit Alan Little's weblog for stunning yoga images:

http://www.alanlittle.org/yoga/yoga.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Melania!
Finally I was able to visit your site, (& check out all my e-mails as well). Being sick affords me that luxury.
I feel "one" with you guys with the injury descriptions and all. I sometimes have pain in my right wrist too which sometimes makes those floor balancing poses excruciating!
I hope to join you in yoga class soon, hopefully next next weekend. Been sooo busy I haven't gone to yoga class in a long time. I hope I'd still have the kind of energy you described me as having in your write up! See you guys soon!
Sasheen

Melanie said...

Hi Sashimi,

Lyn and I are trying out Pulse Makati this weekend, sana you can still make it...

Huy! You're mat is still with me. It's in B.R. you can pick it up anytime just look for Rose or Cory.

Sa bagay, you of all people, can do those difficult asanas with or without a mat. Naks!

Everyone I know who does yoga is either sick or getting sick. Ikaw kasi, you're such a travel bug! Ako, "yoga butterfly" lang ;-D