Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Cyber Shala

So I'm trying to get back on the mat after more than a month of hibernation. I had a consistent, daily self-practise underway which I embarked on not very long ago but was cut short by the "incident". I am determined but dread having to start all over again. Back to zero. In my case that means having to remember the primary series sequence, re-learn the poses and struggle at becoming supple once more for Mary D, Supta Kurmasana, Urdhva Dhanurasana and even the forward bend where I expect to feel the most resistance. I'll also need to see how far I can push myself because of persistent pain on my left fibula (yep, I think that's where it's emanating from). If I manage to get back behind the wheel, then I'll be back on the mat at the shala this weekend. Inshallah as my teacher says.

I'm finding encouragement from fellow practitioners at the Cyber Shala. Bloggers from around the world who post regularly about their practise and progress like Grimmly who is completely self-taught and began his blog in 2007 to document his development with the jump back-through. Today he effortlessly floats through vinyasas and is now practising the third series and some advanced asanas. His How do you maintain your motivation for practice? post has really helped in putting the spark back in my practise. Also read his clever How many ways to practice Ashtanga? post.
I also enjoy The Journey of my Practice owned by a blogger who has declared 2009 "The Year of the Dropback". For every proper backbend, Globie (who like Grimmly is British) rewards himself with a big, white chocolate button which has been effective for him but I think could be fattening depending on how long it takes him to ace the dropback. Then there's Life...on and off the mat about Mel from the US who began practising Ashtanga in March but whose home practise has recently been derailed by renovation work at her flat. I can also relate to Inhale , a Westerner living in South Korea, whose mind has been chipping away at his practice. External pressures like real estate problems and an ill parent along with his own perceived inadequacies as a practitioner have been weighing him down. Mitahara and other fellow Filipino yoga bloggers round up my daily dose of yoga reading. Although I haven't met most of them, I feel that I'm in good company with these Ashtangi bloggers. I appreciate how they share practise tips, advice as well as glimpses into their personal lives. Hugely inspiring and motivating. Om.

3 comments:

daydreamingmel said...

Hello, and thank you so much for mentioning my blog, and I'm happy to be part of your cyber shala! (though I am from England too not the US!)

I completely know where you are coming from feeling like you have to go back to square one, I am in the same boat - my "back to the mat" week last week was derailed by some personal stuff, so again this week I am attempting to kick-start my home practice. I did make it to the shala on Wednesday though, and took until Saturday for my hamstrings to recover...at the moment my biggest motivation to get back to a daily practice is that it's not so painful when you do it regularly!
Good luck & keep us posted on your progress, and remember everyone struggles with motivation, it's part of what makes us human :)
Mel

Globie said...

Hi Melanie,

Chocolate (Buttons etc) is the one treat I have left after all the nice stuff with wheat got banned by the Nutritionist a couple of years ago! I have plenty of room for a few chokky buttons!

Glad you enjoy reading, hope you manage to get back on the mat.I'll be watching out now.

Grimmly said...

Glad you found something in my blog thats been useful/helpful, was nice to see a picture of it here, thanks for that.