At the still point of the turning world.
Neither flesh nor fleshless; Neither from nor towards; at the still point, there the dance is,
But neither arrest nor movement. And do not call it fixity,
Where past and future are gathered.
Neither movement from nor towards,Neither ascent nor decline.
Except for the point, the still point,
There would be no dance, and there is only the dance.
I can only say, there we have been: but I cannot say where.
And I cannot say, how long, for that is to place it in time.
The inner freedom from the practical desire,
The release from action and suffering, release from the inner
And the outer compulsion, yet surrounded
By a grace of sense, a white light still and moving…
-from Burnt Norton, section I of Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot
I’ve come to absolutely love this passage from the long poem Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot not only because my father used to read his work in school but also because of the Zen-like connotations in his writing. Considered a pioneer of Western 20th century poetry for being among the first to reject conventional verse forms and language, T.S. Eliot is highly-regarded in Japanese literary circles for his interest in Zen Buddhism.
In Four Quartets his last major work, Eliot explores the questions of time and eternity in four sections, Burnt Norton (1936), East Coker (1940), The Dry Salvages (1941), and Little Gidding (1942), representing places visited by the poet.
'The still point of the turning world' in Burnt Norton illustrates for me what one should ideally experience when practicing yoga. As scholars have pointed out, Eliot implies that there is a point of stillness at the heart of movement which is poised, balanced, and is also the “locus of power.”
He also writes about 'the dance' and equates it with beauty, control, elegance, power and harmony. The Western Buddhist Review dissected and interpreted this as: dancing, like meditation, needs concentration but also fluidity, a blend of conscious control and a creative flow. 'At the still point, there the dance is' - the dance comes from that stillness. Om.
4 comments:
I wonder if this is where John Scott got the idea to call his shala StillPoint Yoga?
http://yogapsyche.blogspot.com
Most likely :)
How was kirtan?
A friend of mine is cousins with the owner of Bliss Yoga. I think they only have 1-3 teachers, only one (the co-owner) teaches full-time. She's been inviting me to go, want to check it out sometime? Although not this week please.
Had dinner with my mom so ended up not going. Thinking about the one tomorrow, but the thought of getting to Makati on a Friday night is intimidating...
Thailand zapped my cash reserves so I don't think I can join you until I get a few clients. :-( Working on my marketing plans now. Good to hear you still practice though. You still go to YMO or Centro?
http://yogapsyche.blogspot.com
Plus the rains really put a damper on things in general.
Haven't been to YMO in a while. Then went on Ladies' Holiday last week. What? Shall we resurrect our practice-together plan? WHERE are we going to do that nga lang.
I've been toying with the idea of leasing a unit (small, as in room only) so I can practice away from the distractions at home and so I can finally make an altar (another plan). Thinking of calling it Yoga Melania hehe.
Post a Comment