Monday, April 6, 2009

Moving Meditation

I don't like conflict, I believe it brings out the worst in people. So when I needed time off from an issue brewing amongst acquaintances, I couldn't find solace in yoga. Instead I found inspiration from a sweet and smart runner named Jaymie Pizarro. "The Bull Runner" as she is known among the running community, Jaymie is behind the Philippines' top sports blog, www.thebullrunner.com, a wellspring of information on running and the local running scene.

I consulted her about running and yoga, "Do they complement each other?," I asked since I was exploring the cardio-vascular benefits of running. I received a swift and thorough response from Jaymie who as it turns out, has recently gotten into yoga to strengthen her core which she says is essential for long-distance running as it will help maintain correct form needed for a more efficient stride. She says running tightens the leg muscles and yoga stretches areas that runners often neglect.

Jaymie has practiced in Yoga Manila Alabang a couple of times but frequently practises with Joseph de Asis at Gold's Gym Alabang. She sent me pre-run yoga poses from Runner's World as well as this article that encourages runners to cross-train with yoga for strength and to reduce injury (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-409--12606-0,00.html).

Here's an excerpt from an article written by an American yoga practitioner-runner:

How yoga helps running: "In a sense, my running is sort of an extension of the yoga class. Through the deep breathing and quieting of the mind we all learn in class, I can get into that moving meditation when I run."

How running helps yoga: "Endurance is never an issue for me in my yoga classes, so if we have to hold some particularly difficult pose for a long time it's not a problem, and I'm certain that's due in large part to my running. From a strength point of view, running has given me strong legs, which is enormously helpful for some of the standing poses."

I'll be doing these postures very soon, hopefully with a group of runners from U.P. who regularly meet at Hector Yuzon's Second Wind shop at Maginhawa Street, Teachers Village. Looking forward too to running in ULTRA after the holidays. Goodbye treadmill, hello track oval. Lyn, tara na!

I'm quite excited to start running especially after having met new people who seem genuine, focused, and serious about running just as I believe I am about yoga. More importantly I was struck by the warmth of Jaymie and Hector--their aura seemed almost yogic, how there is an instant camaraderie established when one runner meets another, and how natural it is for them to offer and share insight, tips and experiences. That non-competitve atmosphere reminded me of practice at YM Makati, where most everyone was a serious and harcore Ashtangi no matter what level, but where many light moments were shared in Supta Kurmasana, Urdhva Dhanurasana and other intense asanas as Peachie Kilayko would bind every one and drop back the adventurous.

Hope to find that feeling again when I run. Om.

8 comments:

Ben-Ariel said...

Wait for me!!

Melanie said...

I AM waiting for you Ben-tot!

Avril said...

Hi Mel. I'm sorry to hear that there's something bothering you now. I hope it works out soon. Really glad though to hear that you've found some wonderful people to run with. I still don't see myself running, but one of these days you and Lyn have to explain the addiction to me. :) Enjoy your trip!

Heard you're in charge na of the self-practice session on Fridays? See you next Friday then!

Unknown said...

Just something you might be interested in:

The Inner Athlete by Sri Chinmoy

Om

Melanie said...

Hi Aves,

Read on your Facebook that you've been practising 3 days in a row--whew! Congrats! You're going to see and feel the changes soon.

When exactly does self-practice at Chi start? I'm actually clueless...


Jon,

Thanks for the thought-provoking read. I imagine to go down the seeker-runner's path someday. I'm discovering that just like yoga, running also has the power to transform.

Jaymie said...

Hi Melanie! I'm glad to be of help. Looking forward to seeing you at future runs :)

Melanie said...

Jaymie!

Are you back from your running break?

I'll be joining one of Hector's easy 5K runs soon. So excited!

Avril said...

As far as I know, it starts this Friday na. Won't be able to join you though for the next 7 weeks because I'm giving a public speaking workshop for kids in Corinthian Hills. :( Guess it's morning Mysore with Jon in Makati for me on Fridays.