As a treat before taking off for the holiday, my teacher worked with me on my drop backs. After weeks of practicing backbends, I felt I still wasn’t prepared to be dropped back, but Peachie Kilayco (above) is the type of teacher who rewards students who are diligent and practise hard. Of all my teachers, I think she knows me and my practise best. She has spotted my enemy poses and helped me overcome them while introducing me to new and challenging postures. I also love the nuggets of information she shares while calling out the poses during our Led classes as well as the neck massages she gives during Savasana.After Peachie lifted me up from the Wheel I was struck by a rush of elation, almost euphoria. Peachie explained that the backbend is a “happy pose” which invigorates and releases endorphins into the bloodstream and along with inversions and such postures as the shoulder stand or headstand alters the flow of blood, lymphatic drainage and cranial sacral fluid. This increases the availability of oxygen and glucose in the brain required for the production of norepinephrine, dopamine and serotonin collectively known as the feel-good neurotransmitters.
But I was still silly-happy days after my practise. In fact, I’ve been feeling supremely serene lately. I came to realise that I may be experiencing contentment or santosha which is cultivated by finding happiness with what you have and who you are according to the eight limbs of Patanjali. Santosha is one of five niyamas in the eightfold path of yoga. Niyama is inner discipline and responsibility. The other niyamas are austerity, purity, study of the sacred text and living with an awareness of the Divine.
It’s nice to know that yoga has positively affected my life on both a physical and emotional level.
4 comments:
Hi Melania! silly-happy after backbends?! you must have gotten the pose perfectly, congratulations! I couldnt see you from where i was. Me? I felt slap-silly naman cos I thought I was getting the hang of the wall practice thing. Turned out I was doing shortcuts he-he(to spare my back further torture). Slowly though, I think my back is responding, see ya soon! Sasheen
Of course I got the pose perfect--Peachie was holding me 'no! ;-D
Please teach me side crane, astavakrasana and other cool poses next time we practice!
What about the "Dragon" when are we going to do that ;-)
Hello,
Nice to know about your practice. I've also been working on drop backs and backbends lately and it really does feel great doing all that. I've been doing Mysore classes with Jon this entire week. Based on the definition, I think I'm having a bit of santosha myself.
P.S. Nice yoga poetry. I'm curious to know how I'll fare in doing yoga in a hot room again. It's been ages.
Hey Ben!
Great pics on your current post--you really do have an eye for composition, natural light, and subject.
To tell you the truth, I did half the work on my drop backs. My teacher did the rest :-)
I think the source of my santosha is just appreciating my life as it is.
Learn as much from Jon--he's the "guru" ;-D
Hope to see you when you get here!
Post a Comment