This montage takes me back to the time when I was much, much, much younger (and much limber, much lighter) and when I was a "cheer leader" in school. Back then, cheering competitions were not really that competitive or as acrobatic as they are today. But our routines then did involve plenty of backbends, handstands, headstands, splits, cartwheels and other gymnastic movements. I guess that's what attracted me to yoga: the routine looked familiar and do-able but the discipline is certainly more demanding. Yoga requires mental strength to achieve physical dexterity. I'm not as flexible anymore but I'm working towards using my mind to be more agile in asanas like the backbend.
I miss my childhood when life was uncomplicated and my actions were spontaneous and not calculated. That's why one of my favourite poses now--and apparently as a kid was--is Chakrasana--I try not to worry too much about what could possibly happen and just roll over with abandon. No neck injuries so far, I can attest to that.
Did a Led Ashtanga class in UP Psych last Monday with Joji. It was nicely paced and it helped that she always devotes a few minutes at the start of the class to calming the mind and regulating the breath--even if it meant doing a shortened series. But that's ok. UP was the place where it all started for me and where I committed myself to yoga for life. Thanks Joji, will see you Elsa and Marichu Lambino again soon!
Is the song by Cat Stevens? I'm not sure...
3 comments:
Melanie, the song IS by Cat Stevens. It's from 1984, "If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out".
Marichu Lambino does Ashtanga Yoga??? Isn't she some kind of media stalwart?!
'84? Sounds much earlier than that--judging by the era you're from Ceasar ;-)
To anonymous:
Yes indeed! THE Marichu Lambino does Ashtanga Yoga. You should see her do Ardhha Baddha Padmottasana + Paschimottasana. I'm awe-struck too :-)
Post a Comment